April 01, 2011

holding a star...

 "Babies are bits of stardust blown from the hand of God. 
Lucky the woman who knows the pangs of pregnancy and birth, 
for she has held a star."

the last day of pregnancy, taken so I can remember what my body was capable of!

Baby Sam comes into this world...
After much thinking on it, we decided to be induced Sunday, the day I turned 39 weeks. I had mixed feelings about induction and it is not usually recommended with a VBAC, but I needed 6 hours of antibiotics, I was 4 cm, 100% effaced and head at 0 station for 3 weeks (ouch), we live an hour away from my hospital, and I was DONE with pregnancy (anyone who lets themselves go to 42 weeks is a hero!). When I get checked upon arrival, the doctor chuckles and tells me I am 7 cm. I am instructed to not move out of my bed while the antibiotics run for 4 hours. Checked again and I am 8 cm. Membranes get ruptured. I think I am a freak of nature because I was not having an ounce of pain. We cruised around the halls for an hour trying to get regular contractions going. The staff watched me like hawks, they said I was not to be trusted - they didn't want me having my baby in the hallway! I was happy as a clam, full of energy, walking the halls, drinking my juice and eating jello, anticipating my baby's birthday...

8 cm, water broken, wierd I know

After an hour of walking, still at an 8 they started pitocin on me (cue anti-pit people to get mad right now). Within 15 minutes the pain came like a ton of bricks and I was throwing up and sick, my energy zapped, I was a wilted mess. After a little zofran in my IV, some deep breathing, apple juice, and a loving talk from Brooks, I got a 2nd wind and was handling the contractions. I remember asking Brooks what I was supposed to do, how was I supposed to breathe?? Too bad I hadn't read a book or taken a class on natural childbirth, and too bad I passed up having a doula for free at my birth - I told her I wasn't a good candidate because I loved my perfect epidural last time and was planning on it again! So by the time I am a 10 and declaring I can't do this, give me an epidural!, my doctor and nurse told me gently, too late, you can do this. I found myself thinking, no I can't! and my plan was to stop the stupid pitocin, bring in the anesthesiologist and get that epidural in NOW. That plan didn't come to fruition, instead I just had to dig deep, have my husband, nurse and doctor help me, and I pushed this beautiful child into the world. 

the pain DID come!
I shooed Brooks away when he took this picture, but now I'm glad I have it
Our baby boy was born at 3:16 pm, perfect and healthy, beautiful, smaller than the last 8 pound baby (thank goodness!), bigger than the first two 2 1/2 pound babies (more thanks!), and different than my c-section and epidural births. We like to run the gamet of experience in this family!

Here are some of the joyful moments in the first hour and a half of our new baby's life...

6 comments:

Meg said...

Labor never turns out how you would expect it too! Good job Lisa, you are tough!

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Your pictures are making me cry... and getting me excited to experience that again. Way to go on the natural birth, with pitocin! You are a rock star! He is beautiful! (So are you, by the way... you look beautiful when you're pregnant)

Jessica said...

Lisa- he is perfect! I love all of his hair. What a cute family you have! You make me want to have another :)

smiles said...

Beautiful Baby...Beautiful Mama...Beautiful family!=-) By the way, this is your cousin Tiffany...I hope you don't mind that I check your blog out every now and then...got the address from my folks...I have a blog as well..not totally updated as of late..but, here it is: thearodteam@blogspot.com . Congrats again on your sweet baby boy! Wish we lived closer so that I could see your cute growing family...they are just darling! Love you and miss you!=-)

Kim said...

How is it that you managed to look absolutely beautiful after having natural childbirth? Awesome! Congrats on the new baby, he's a cutie!

Natty bee Seely said...

Wow lisa at least you only had pain the last 2 centimeters. Now you've experienced all the ways to have a baby. That's pretty cool. Which one is your favorite?