January 13, 2011

advice for me..!

I have basically taken a 5 month hiatus from cooking. With morning sickness and bedrest my kitchen has not gotten a lot of my attention. Now that it's time to cook again, I truly seem to have forgotten how!! Cooking regularly has never been a strong point of mine. If I had lots of disposable money I wouldn't hire a maid, or a gardener or a nanny or a decorator, but believe me, I would hire a cook. He/she would cook healthy, organic, fresh meals for my family and I would love every second of it and not miss the kitchen for a minute. I have dreams about this cook of ours, they are really good dreams. So when I've hired a cook you'll know we've hit it big. In the meantime, I need to figure this out. I bought Food Nanny Rescues Dinner a few months ago and I even met the food nanny, and she promised her book could rescue even me! Apparently having the book in the top cupboard doesn't do any good because I have NOT been rescued. So my question to you, please help me, what works for you and your family? Any particular cookbook or system, quick meals, crock-pots, frozen meals, how the heck (yes I said heck) can I get dinner on the table at 5:30 at least 5 nights a week for my sweet and deserving family?? 

3 comments:

Alissa said...

I'm not the one to ask, as I certainly don't cook every night, but the one thing that makes a difference between meals and take-out is planning. When I sit down and plan our menu for the week (I don't have the cookbook, but I print the Nanny's template off the internet) I am 100x more likely to cook than if I don't. The best (which I rarely do) is when I sit down on Saturday, make a menu for the week, and go grocery shopping so I'm all ready for Sunday. I have a list of meals I like to make that I refer to...although it never fails to surprise me how hard it is to come up with what to cook. Good luck!

oh--the other thing I do is make a big batch (5-10x the recipe) of bolognese sauce and freeze it. Pasta is our easy, no think, meal.

Adri said...

I agree with Alissa...planning is key! My advice is to make a flexible plan. I write down which day we are going to eat which meal, but I almost always swap around a few days during the week, depending on my mood.

I like to read cooking blogs for new ideas, too. Cooking is more fun when you are doing something new!

juddfam said...

I use dealstomeals.com. Not always the healthiest recipes, but I'm able to alter a lot of them. I have never been a more organized or delicious cook. I love having a shopping list prepared for me. Easy peasy. Love it.