After reading the previous post you must think I am crazy and have passed it down to my offspring, but this is a different subject. Am I crazy to be thinking of adding a small dog to our family? My kids LOVE dogs. We dog sat our neighbor's awesome golden retriever for a week and the kids ate up every minute of it. They loved the responsibility and the ownership of Cooper that week. Since then we've been seriously considering it and doing hours of research online for the perfect breed of dog for our family. The main requirements: minimal to no shedding, not a yappy dog, 10 - 12 pounds, pretty and not nappy looking, good with children, affectionate and loving. Does this dog exist? Tell me about your dog or go ahead and tell me I'm crazy for thinking about it. Maybe I should just purchase FurReal Biscuit by Hasbro at Target next time I'm there...


This is how happy they were just visiting the puppies down the street.
8 comments:
We had a Jack Russell for 3 years. Great dog, but needed CONSTANT attention. We had to find him a new home when our girl was born, as many terriers are unpredictable around kids.
Honestly, large dogs tend to be better with kids.
Lisa,
Suzanne and I are getting two Portuguese water dogs tomorrow! I think it is funny you and Suz were thinking of the same thing at the same time....
I guess these dogs are great for families, and non-shedding.....it's the dog Barack Obama just got, which for me is a HUGE reason to not want that type, but oh well....If I decide to become a Marxist then you know I am trying too hard to be like Obama!
Our kids don't know they are getting them, Suz has them down in California for a beach/disneyland trip, I am up here working and will have the dogs when they get home to surprise them.
--Jason
Hey siost,
Jayne and Ta have a couple of their puppies left, and they are ADORABLE. They are Havanese, and I think they're the perfect dog for a family. They are a little expensive . . . though Ta just lowered the price . . .
Look at their blog paugapuppies.blogspot.com
Love you!
Mindy
We love our Jack Russell! If you get one as a puppy and have them grow up with your kids they are awesome dogs. We researched forever and found the best breeder in the state (the president of the Jack Russell Club here) and she was able to match us with a perfect dog. We have had ours for 6 years and we love her more every day. You do need a dog-proof yard though. We used to have another Jack who chewed up a few hoses as a puppy. (sadly she was hit by a car last year) Whatever breed you decide on, the best thing you can do is crate train from day one. It is so nice being able to crate the dog for traveling, when you are gone, at night, etc.
We have Biscuit, the Fur Real dog. It worked for a couple of months but my kids still want a real dog sooooooooo bad. I am on the fence. I would like a dog to be part of our family but am nervous that I won't be able to give it all the attention it deserves.
Hey lisa,
I don't know if it's just my computer but none of the photos are showing up in the last few blog entries you posted here and on your photo blog.
My vote for the dog is a golden, Matt is right on about bigger dogs and kids. If shedding is a concern for you with a golden you can keep their hair trimmed pretty short. There is a reason they are such popular dogs!
-Pete
I say if you couldn't handle the bunny a dog is out of the question. We have a schnauzer. He's a real sweetheart. Would I do it again... hmmm not sure. We are glad we have him, but it's like another child and you are restricted when you go out of town. I would really mull it over long and hard. Golden's shed like crazy, and they eat everything. If you must get a dog, schnauzers don't shed and they are really tolerant to pulling and teasing from kids of all ages. But still really really think about it. It always lands on the mom.
I am realizing my comment is way past when you posted this. Did you get a dog, or are you still thinking?
Post a Comment