September 02, 2008

We like Jack

For my birthday Brooks bought us Jack Johnson concert tickets. We love his music and were so excited to go to his concert. We got a babysitter, Brooks left work early, we drove all the way there (how far away is Usana amphitheater anyway!?), skipped dinner because we were running late, only to arrive and sit in the hot sun for 2 1/2 hours waiting for Jack to arrive on stage. I knew it was bad when he came on stage at 9:30 and I was already yawning. We didn't have actual seats, but were down in the front pit, so close to Jack that I could see what color his flip-flops were. This would be great, except that I hate to dance. My Mom says I have been shy of creative movement ever since I was 4 and we had a creative movement class together. Everyone around us was swaying to the music, including my coordinated at creative movement husband, and I was standing there like a self-conscious dork. To make me even more of a dork, this was the first big concert I've been to since I've had my kids - I'm not counting the dozens of concerts in the park with our picnic and tons of kids running around. No, this concert was crowded and loud and the air was filled with an aroma that I haven't smelled since high school - not exactly a little family concert. I felt so sheltered and so out of place. I kept thinking, I'm just a non-glamorous mom who drives a mini van, watches Elmo half the day, drinks chocolate milk and eats tidbits of left-over PB&J sandwiches. I would have preferred sitting on the grass at the very tippy top of the hill, listening contentedly to the music that I love. But no, my sheltered Mom self was down in front so I decided to make the most of it. I started swaying, pretending I knew about cool creative movement, and singing, because I do know every word to Jack's songs. Brooks and I danced and sang together for the rest of the concert and it was really fun. I was still a dork, but I had fun. The next day I thought to myself...I like being non-glamorous, I'm glad I know the Elmo theme song, it's okay to be sheltered from some things, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but home each day watching my 3 children become the little people they are supposed to become. The concert was an experience, but in the future I think I'll just listen to Jack at home on a really good stereo.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Good job Lisa for moving your body creatively, at least a little bit. I wish I could have been there to witness it! I can't wait for you to come out here in October and meet Indie. I love you.

P.S. I will try to post pictures faster, I was just too busy lounging around with Mom.

Brenna LaPray said...

I found your blog. It's so fun to see such cute pictures of you and your kids. Tell Brooks that he is very photogenic!!!

rafters said...

Don't forget the part about your wonderful sister who came over and rescued your babysitter at 10 that night! Yes you love me and I love you!

Ali